Why? They sold me a camera housing that leaked the first time out. Now, they’re refusing to take it back and refund me.
Why? Because they say they don’t do returns on housings after one month post-sale. They said “it’s not defective ma’am” and that I should have “tested it in the bathtub as soon as I got it in September.” What nerve.
Here’s the thing. I don’t scuba dive in my bathtub. And, it needed to be tested at depth. That means in more than 5 inches of water. I tested the housing twice, without the camera in it, as soon as I arrived on my dive trip to Mexico in mid-December. It leaked both times.
Here’s the timeline.
- I bought the housing in September from Zooom directly (gave CC over the phone) because they’d also sold me the Canon camera for which the housing was built via Amazon.ca. This was the easiest solution to their first misdeed, which was advertising a camera they didn’t have in stock. The original one I bought via Amazon.ca before I received a panicked phone call from their rep in New York telling me they didn’t actually have the camera I bought.
- I didn’t scuba dive until December. Which means by the time I discovered the housing leaked, I was not longer able to access their arbitrary ‘one month’ return policy.
- Last week, I sent Zooom an email outlining the problem, for which I received this response:
contact me on monday and I will rectify this for you
This email and the information it contains are confidential and may be privileged. If you have received this email in error please notify me immediately. You should not copy it for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any other person. Internet communications are not secure and, therefore, Zooom Electronics does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message as it has been transmitted over a public network. If you suspect the message may have been intercepted or amended please contact us.
When I called, the way Zooom ‘rectified’ this was to tell me they wouldn’t do a thing for me. That I should call Canon USA (which I did. They told me to call Canon Canada, which told me there is no warranty on ‘merchandise’ and to call Canon USA since I bought the housing from a US retailer).
- So, the moral of this story is:
- Zooom has abysmal customer relations. They advertise products they don’t have in stock. They won’t stand by the things they sell. Do not buy from Zooom on Amazon.
(UPDATE January 20, 2015: Canon Canada has offered me a replacement housing for my camera. My warning about doing business with ZOOOM still stands remains.
UPDATE: May 15, 2015: Canon Canada did come through for me with a new housing. It doesn’t leak. You can read more here…)